Cheesy Smashed Root Veggies
By Chef Jeremy Noga of Local Foods Cafe
— 2 oz butter
— 2 oz all purpose flour
— 3 2oz whole milk
— 8 oz sharp cheddar, shredded or cubed small
— 1 T mustard powder
— 1½ T kosher salt
— 2 large parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped, about ¾”
— 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped about ¾”
— 2 medium sized celery root, peeled and chopped about ¾”
— ½ cup course ground breadcrumbs
1. For the sauce, heat the butter in a saucepan until foaming. Add the flour and stir, cooking a minute or two until it smells like butter cookies. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps forming. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
2. Add the mustard powder, salt and cheese, stirring until the cheese is completely melted. Set Aside.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the vegetables. Cook them 7–10 minutes or until slightly softened.
4. Strain the vegetables and mix with the cheese sauce. Pour into a baking dish.
5. Bake at 400F 25–35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Serve hot.