Download as a PDF
Reports to: Butcher & Larder Manager
- The Butcher operates as part of a cohesive butchery team operating seamlessly as part of wholesale and retail butcher operations. The Butcher uses his / her creativity, communication, customer service skills to create a destination worthy meat shop and store. This is an opportunity for a passionate and experienced individual to break new ground in whole animal butchery. The Butcher plays a key role in providing a unique retail and wholesale customer experience.
Primary responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains health code standards; and adheres to all food safety regulations and guidelines.
- Contributes to cleanliness of the meat department and the overall market.
- Assists with merchandising and product displays per store standards, especially as related to the meat department, charcuterie, and cheese areas.
- Becomes proficient with primal, sub primal and retail cuts as well as their preparation.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for directing the energy, sales, and service focus of every shift worked.
- Participates in annual and daily shift planning for the meat department and then works to implement those plans.
- Promotes effective communication between the retail and wholesale operations, as well as café and grocery departments.
- Participates in hiring, training, coaching, and development of staff.
- Complies with Managerial expectations; works 2–4 shifts actively coaching and teaching behind the meat counter.
- Creates an environment that enables customers to feel welcome, important and appreciated by answering questions regarding menu items.
- Gain and maintain knowledge of products sold within the butcher and market and be able to respond to questions and make suggestions about purchases.
- Responsible for being visible and actively greeting, engaging and assisting customers.
- High school diploma / GED
- Has strong high-volume food-service work experience with preference given towards specialty food experience.
- Has experience with cost control in food and labor cost.
- Serve-safe food handlers certification or equivalent
- Full-time availability, weekend availability required
- Has an extended knowledge of specialty foods and food care.
- Energetic, fun, friendly, customer service minded individual
- Passion for the local food movement a plus
- Understands how to be a part of a small team environment
- Has a positive attitude and a great sense of quality and urgency
- Must maintain a neat and tidy appearance
- Adherence to sanitation and safety procedures
- Physically able to lift up to 50 pounds safely and repeatedly
- Loves to sell, and has a proven track record in sales.
- Is extremely well organized; can deal with multiple tasks at the same time; has excellent follow-through skills.
- Is comfortable following established system, adapting to changes, and solving problems on the fly
- Professional verbal and written communication skills
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO): It is the policy of Local Foods that all employees and applicants be afforded equal opportunities in employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, religion, disability, or retaliation for engaging in an EEO protected activity. The Company prohibits discrimination or harassment based on any of these categories, as well as on age, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a parent, military service, or any other bases protected under applicable local, state, or federal law.
This position is open immediately. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.