Title: Chef Reports to: General Manager
Job Duties: The Chef manages the café at Local Foods. The Chef is responsible for the service, food, and success of this open kitchen in a beautiful specialty grocery store. The Chef takes over the management of current concept and will help transition to a re-concept during the fall.
This is an opportunity for an experienced leader to build a foodservice operation that draws traffic for the entire store and features the best Midwestern ingredients. A successful Chef will be comfortable managing a team of 5–7 cooks, and be comfortable in a culture of feedback and working with partners to achieve business goals. This is a great role for a current Chef/Executive Chef or Sous/CDC/Kitchen Manager looking to run a kitchen and manage a great culinary team.
- Manages a concept-driven, customer focused cafe
- Works closely with Partner and General Manager to execute a concept that inspires diners and connects them to the grocery shopping experience
- Manages a menu that supports the overall concept
- Creates and manages a menu that is approachable, delicious and features a limited set of intriguing and seasonal dishes that features the best of the season
- Highlights the core products from Local Foods, including in-house products from our own distribution business and top quality meats, sausages and salumi from the Butcher & Larder
- Manages service and front of house experience, in partnership with the customer experience manager
- Manages and develops a high-performing, long-term restaurant team. Assists with oversight of the store
- Oversees hiring and training of kitchen and cleaning staff
- Empowers team and foster autonomy and creativity
- Manages scheduling
- Manages production and operations. Oversees all ordering, production scheduling, inventory, and sanitation/food safety
- Manages to budget and sales data
- A minimum of 1–2 years in a managerial role in a kitchen.
- Prior restaurant management, executive chef experience
- Fine dining food production experience and/or large batch food production
- Must be open to feedback and coachable
- Ability to thrive in an ambiguous, dynamic environment. Attentive to detail
- Comfortable and agility with technology a plus
- Maintain ServeSafe, Chicago Food Service Manager, and Basset Licences
We offer competitive pay, health and other insurance options, 401(k), dining and grocery discounts, paid vacation, and more.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 26.