Download as a PDF
PROTEIN BUYER – PURCHASING TEAM ASSOCIATE
We are looking for a Meat Buyer to be responsible for maintaining optimal inventory levels. This person will own the development and maintenance of detailed reporting of purchasing and supplier information to proactively improve the efficiency of the purchasing team.
About the PROTEIN BUYER
- Are passionate about the local food world. You love knowing where your food comes from and what it’s all about. And you love sharing all that foodie knowledge with friends, family, customers, and anyone that will listen!
- You have experience with buying, pricing systems, and other applicable programs for purchasing.
- You have knowledge of the meat processing landscape in the Midwest.
- Procurement duties:
- Purchase product that meets customer needs and Local Foods standards
- Negotiate cost, price, and terms on all products
- Achieve targets in shrink, margin and customer satisfaction
- Build and maintain long-term relationships with new and existing vendors
- Assess and recommend new sources of products
- Manage relationships to deliver agreed product inventory and quality levels
- Ability to combine market and vendor conditions with sales to make good long/short buying decisions
- Manage whole animal purchasing and cutting instructions with small meat processors
- Work with management to conduct annual vendor reviews, promotions and push lists
- Communication and organizational duties:
- Manage product catalog and communicate new or updated items to the sales team
- Assist with setting proper pricing for all products and the creation of new products and product categories
- Understand pricing relationships between all cuts of meat and variations
- Monitor spoilage, manage quantity and quality to minimize losses
- Assist as needed with quality control and operational needs
- Manage billing and resolve / communicate discrepancies
- Stay abreast of meat industry trends and market conditions
- Bachelor Degree or other post HS degree
- Working knowledge of buying, pricing systems and other applicable programs for purchasing
- Analytical ability and proficiency in margin calculations and inventory management
- Proficiency with Google Suite and MS Excel; experience with distribution or ERP software a plus
- Knowledge of Meat Processing landscape in the Midwest a plus
- Understanding of invoicing and basic accounting
- Sound statistical acumen, interpretation and analytical ability
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO): It is the policy of Local Foods that all employees and applicants be afforded equal opportunities in employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, religion, disability, or retaliation for engaging in an EEO protected activity. The Company prohibits discrimination or harassment based on any of these categories, as well as on age, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a parent, military service, or any other bases protected under applicable local, state, or federal law.
This position is open immediately. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.