For a really quick and delicious side dish that will make you look like a pro chef, grill some first of the season asparagus and top it with an easy, gussied up mayo that will also be great on sandwiches or on top of a grilled piece of fish.
Grilled Asparagus with Charred Tomato Mayo
1. Snap woody stems off of asparagus.
2. Toss asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Char asparagus on a medium hot grill until tender.
4. Put 1 C of your favorite mayonnaise in a blender with a big pinch of parsley, basil, fennel tops, or whatever herbs you like.
5. Cut 1 or 2 tomatoes in half (depending on size) and toss with oil and salt.
6. Char tomatoes on all sides on the hot part of the grill.
7. Cool tomatoes then add them to blender and blitz until smooth.
8. Put the asparagus on a platter and spoon the mayo over the top or serve on the side.