From Jimmy Shay of Butcher & Larder
Ground beef tacos are often thought of as something with a crunchy shell and cheddar cheese. There is, however, an authentic preparation for a ground beef taco known as Picadillo, served in a warm corn tortilla. This recipe varies from household to household, so feel free to make it your own! Raisins, chopped carrots and peas are all common additions to this recipe. The Chipotles make this recipe pretty spicy, so feel free to cut it in half or eliminate them completely if you don’t want any spice.
Mexican Picadillo – Ground Beef & Potato Tacos
– 2 lbs Butcher and Larder ground beef
– 1 large russet potato – peeled and cut in to 1″ cubes
– 2 whole Mightyvine tomatoes – chopped fine
– 1 clove garlic – minced
– 2 T olive oil
– 1 small can chipotles in adobo – blend until smooth
– 2 tsp Mexican oregano
– 1 tsp cumin
– 2 tsp salt
1. Heat Olive oil in a large saute pan that has a tight fitting lid.
2. Add Chopped Tomatoes and garlic, cook for 1 minute, remove from pan and set aside.
3. Place ground beef in pan in an even layer, using a spatula or wooden spoon break it in to small pieces and brown evenly. Do not drain.
4. Add all remaining ingredients to the pan, including the cooked tomatoes and garlic from step 2, stir until mixed evenly. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook stirring occasionally until potatoes are cooked through.
5. Adjust salt and pepper
6. serve in warm corn tortillas with crumbled queso fresco, cilantro and chopped onion.