By Chef Jeremy Noga of Local Foods Cafe
– 2 oz butter
– 2 oz all purpose flour
– 3 2oz whole milk
– 8 oz sharp cheddar, shredded or cubed small
– 1 T mustard powder
– 1½ T kosher salt
– 2 large parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped, about ¾”
– 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped about ¾”
– 2 medium sized celery root, peeled and chopped about ¾”
– ½ cup course ground breadcrumbs
1. For the sauce, heat the butter in a saucepan until foaming. Add the flour and stir, cooking a minute or two until it smells like butter cookies. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps forming. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
2. Add the mustard powder, salt and cheese, stirring until the cheese is completely melted. Set Aside.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the vegetables. Cook them 7-10 minutes or until slightly softened.
4. Strain the vegetables and mix with the cheese sauce. Pour into a baking dish.
5. Bake at 400F 25-35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Serve hot.